In Srinagar I tried taking a selfie with an eagle.
This was the result:
The eagle was gone.
That was a crow.
.....
Where do I even begin about this last week.
Let's start with Friday.
The fam and I were off to Patna, Amnour and Bodhgaya.
Both Patna and Amnour hold a special place in my heart. Amnour especially as it's my family's ancestral village on my mothers' side. My grandmother grew up here. The first time I visited was 10 years ago when I didn't really register or comprehend how people lived there.
This time was different. I'm older and wiser (maybe not mentally).
We were going on an official visit together with my uncle, an MP for the region.
I'm sure by now you've realized that my stories around India are rather, for lack of a better word, special and this one is no different.
So let's begin!
We're at the airport and, considering we're travelling with my uncle who has yet to make an appearance, I ask my mother: "Shouldn't he be flying with us?"
Mother: "Oh, didn't I tell you? He's flying the plane."
Right.
Okay.
Coolcoolcool.
After a very pleasant and comfortable flight, we arrive in Patna and the moment we enter the airport we are bombarded with photographers.
It was a surreal experience and I'm not sure how I feel about it to be honest.
THEN.
We head to the cars and by cars I mean 12 car police escort.
Because apparently such a thing is necessary.
And yes.
It is as weird as it sounds.
In Patna, we stayed for a few hours at the house that my great-great-great-grandfather had build. We then drove the two-hour drive across the Ganges to Amnour.
Anywho! By late evening we arrive to a crowd of around 100 people at a pond.
Turns out we were there to inaugurate the lights surrounding the pond by flipping a lever.
And who had to flip the lever?
Well. You'd think important people. You know. The ones who are running the government, the ones who set-up the whole lighting system, my parents potentially, essentially anyone of importance.
Nope.
Me.
That's not a smile. That's me panicking that I don't have the muscle to lift the lever. I was reasonably terrified.
.....
The next morning, we were supposed to leave by 10:30. So we left at 11:30.
We then joined my uncle in a series of inaugurating events: water pumps, community centers, more water pumps, a jogging track.
Oh and tree planting.
I planted a mango tree!
Here's a series of me planting MY tree:
Again.
I sincerely don't think I should have done this. I'm not exactly important.
It was pretty cool though to be honest. I'm not important and all I did was plant a tree, but I do feel kind of good. And I probably have no right to say that, but it just felt good to be in the place where my family comes from and just do something.
While all of the inaugurating was going on, I was keeping back, trying to stay out of focus.
But.
That wasn't allowed apparently.
Because.
The army guys proceeded to then push all onlookers out of my way so I could move to the front.
My main man, (I think) colonel Subash-ji especially made sure I was front and center.
.....
When back at the house, I was advised a few things, as per Indian tradition:
Before we left to drive back to Patna, we passed by mango and lychee groves.
This tree is over 200 years old:
And there was a cow and I wanted a picture of the cow.
Apparently one of the drivers had seen me try to get close to the cow and proceeded to tell my mother:
"Does she want to see the cow? I will drive and find a cow. I will bring her a cow."
He was worried I had never seen a cow before.
I was hanging back from the group, walking around the groves, when Subash-ji, knowing how much I love lychees, called me and said "look at that lychee tree! Do you want a lychee? I will get you a lychee."
I told him: "shukriya, lychee bo-hoot laal hai." (Thank you, lychee is very red).
We drove back to Patna, 12 car police escort in tow with these amazing country-side views:
This is what India is.
These views are unmatched.
I don't know when I'll ever see this place again, but I'm glad I could see it again as an "adult."
.....
The next day we headed to Bodhgaya, the place where Buddha attained enlightenment.
We had only 6 police cars.
It was a reasonably long four hour drive.
But hey.
It's fine.
It's cool.
We reached the Mahabodhi temple, which houses the Bodhi tree, the tree under which Buddha attained enlightenment.
What you can see from the temple is from around the 6th century CE, with some parts dating even the 2nd or 3rd century AD.
It really was quite something. I'm not religious in any way but there was a sense of calmness being there. As I've mentioned a plethora of times in previous posts, I'm trying to find my way in this world and being at Bodhgaya just kind of... calmed me.
....
The entire weekend, as packed and intense as it was, was honestly and genuinely one that won't be forgotten.
Of course I have to thank my uncle, Rajiv Pratap Rudy for having me and letting me experience everything.
To Rudy Mama: I promise I'll look into the whole Bollywood thing!
....
From Monday till Wednesday we were in Srinagar, the capital of Jammu and Kashmir, a state located on the border with Pakistan.
As this state borders Pakistan, you can imagine that there are some concerns to the safety of the general public and all who visit it.
It's exciting.
As we arrived at the airport, the first thing my father receives is a text with the following words**:
"Dear sir,
Protocol will be awaiting you with a bullet-proof car.
Thank you."
That's only slightly disconcerting.
We later found out that this was simply in the very unlikely event that something were to happen. We would not be venturing out into the non-safety zones.
The beauty of this place is unparalleled.
I was honestly speechless.
I'm having a hard time finding the words to describe this place because each time I try to type something, anything remotely 'profound' I keep staring at the mountains, lake, birds.
I mean would you just look at this place?
On Tuesday we visited some Mughal gardens which date back to, well, the Mughal period (opened in 1619 A.D.).
The garden is actually 12 terraces each hidden behind the other.
Honestly I don't really know what else I can say about this place so I'll bombard you with pictures instead:
Can you see why I don't want to leave?
...
For years there have been political disturbances which have caused immense damage.
But Srinagar is now stabilizing on a daily basis.
It's a shame that the nature surrounding this place has become overlooked.
I don't really know how to bring across the fact that it's time that this place is brought back to the glory it once was without sounding political or preachy.
Just take my word for it.
Visit Jammu and Kashmir.
But please do keep in mind to first check what your governments' travel advice is prior to visiting.
.....
Now I'm back in Delhi.
And.
Well.
I'm going to bed.
Goodnight!
*Rereading this I realize how cheesy and 'fake-political-speechy' it sounds. Sorry#notsorry.
**Slightly modified, but you get the picture
This was the result:
The eagle was gone.
That was a crow.
.....
Where do I even begin about this last week.
Let's start with Friday.
The fam and I were off to Patna, Amnour and Bodhgaya.
Both Patna and Amnour hold a special place in my heart. Amnour especially as it's my family's ancestral village on my mothers' side. My grandmother grew up here. The first time I visited was 10 years ago when I didn't really register or comprehend how people lived there.
This time was different. I'm older and wiser (maybe not mentally).
We were going on an official visit together with my uncle, an MP for the region.
I'm sure by now you've realized that my stories around India are rather, for lack of a better word, special and this one is no different.
So let's begin!
We're at the airport and, considering we're travelling with my uncle who has yet to make an appearance, I ask my mother: "Shouldn't he be flying with us?"
Mother: "Oh, didn't I tell you? He's flying the plane."
Right.
Okay.
Coolcoolcool.
After a very pleasant and comfortable flight, we arrive in Patna and the moment we enter the airport we are bombarded with photographers.
It was a surreal experience and I'm not sure how I feel about it to be honest.
THEN.
We head to the cars and by cars I mean 12 car police escort.
Because apparently such a thing is necessary.
And yes.
It is as weird as it sounds.
In Patna, we stayed for a few hours at the house that my great-great-great-grandfather had build. We then drove the two-hour drive across the Ganges to Amnour.
Anywho! By late evening we arrive to a crowd of around 100 people at a pond.
Turns out we were there to inaugurate the lights surrounding the pond by flipping a lever.
And who had to flip the lever?
Well. You'd think important people. You know. The ones who are running the government, the ones who set-up the whole lighting system, my parents potentially, essentially anyone of importance.
Nope.
Me.
That's not a smile. That's me panicking that I don't have the muscle to lift the lever. I was reasonably terrified.
.....
The next morning, we were supposed to leave by 10:30. So we left at 11:30.
We then joined my uncle in a series of inaugurating events: water pumps, community centers, more water pumps, a jogging track.
Oh and tree planting.
I planted a mango tree!
Here's a series of me planting MY tree:
Again.
I sincerely don't think I should have done this. I'm not exactly important.
It was pretty cool though to be honest. I'm not important and all I did was plant a tree, but I do feel kind of good. And I probably have no right to say that, but it just felt good to be in the place where my family comes from and just do something.
While all of the inaugurating was going on, I was keeping back, trying to stay out of focus.
But.
That wasn't allowed apparently.
Because.
The army guys proceeded to then push all onlookers out of my way so I could move to the front.
My main man, (I think) colonel Subash-ji especially made sure I was front and center.
.....
When back at the house, I was advised a few things, as per Indian tradition:
- I need to get married.
- I should be in Bollywood movies (apparently you don't even need to speak proper Hindi and English).
- Why haven't I been married yet?
- "The child should marry an Indian."
Before we left to drive back to Patna, we passed by mango and lychee groves.
This tree is over 200 years old:
And there was a cow and I wanted a picture of the cow.
Apparently one of the drivers had seen me try to get close to the cow and proceeded to tell my mother:
"Does she want to see the cow? I will drive and find a cow. I will bring her a cow."
He was worried I had never seen a cow before.
I was hanging back from the group, walking around the groves, when Subash-ji, knowing how much I love lychees, called me and said "look at that lychee tree! Do you want a lychee? I will get you a lychee."
I told him: "shukriya, lychee bo-hoot laal hai." (Thank you, lychee is very red).
We drove back to Patna, 12 car police escort in tow with these amazing country-side views:
This is what India is.
These views are unmatched.
I don't know when I'll ever see this place again, but I'm glad I could see it again as an "adult."
.....
The next day we headed to Bodhgaya, the place where Buddha attained enlightenment.
We had only 6 police cars.
It was a reasonably long four hour drive.
But hey.
It's fine.
It's cool.
We reached the Mahabodhi temple, which houses the Bodhi tree, the tree under which Buddha attained enlightenment.
What you can see from the temple is from around the 6th century CE, with some parts dating even the 2nd or 3rd century AD.
It really was quite something. I'm not religious in any way but there was a sense of calmness being there. As I've mentioned a plethora of times in previous posts, I'm trying to find my way in this world and being at Bodhgaya just kind of... calmed me.
....
The entire weekend, as packed and intense as it was, was honestly and genuinely one that won't be forgotten.
Of course I have to thank my uncle, Rajiv Pratap Rudy for having me and letting me experience everything.
To Rudy Mama: I promise I'll look into the whole Bollywood thing!
....
From Monday till Wednesday we were in Srinagar, the capital of Jammu and Kashmir, a state located on the border with Pakistan.
As this state borders Pakistan, you can imagine that there are some concerns to the safety of the general public and all who visit it.
It's exciting.
As we arrived at the airport, the first thing my father receives is a text with the following words**:
"Dear sir,
Protocol will be awaiting you with a bullet-proof car.
Thank you."
That's only slightly disconcerting.
We later found out that this was simply in the very unlikely event that something were to happen. We would not be venturing out into the non-safety zones.
The beauty of this place is unparalleled.
I was honestly speechless.
I'm having a hard time finding the words to describe this place because each time I try to type something, anything remotely 'profound' I keep staring at the mountains, lake, birds.
I mean would you just look at this place?
On Tuesday we visited some Mughal gardens which date back to, well, the Mughal period (opened in 1619 A.D.).
The garden is actually 12 terraces each hidden behind the other.
Honestly I don't really know what else I can say about this place so I'll bombard you with pictures instead:
Can you see why I don't want to leave?
...
For years there have been political disturbances which have caused immense damage.
But Srinagar is now stabilizing on a daily basis.
It's a shame that the nature surrounding this place has become overlooked.
I don't really know how to bring across the fact that it's time that this place is brought back to the glory it once was without sounding political or preachy.
Just take my word for it.
Visit Jammu and Kashmir.
But please do keep in mind to first check what your governments' travel advice is prior to visiting.
.....
Now I'm back in Delhi.
And.
Well.
I'm going to bed.
Goodnight!
![]() |
*Rereading this I realize how cheesy and 'fake-political-speechy' it sounds. Sorry#notsorry.
**Slightly modified, but you get the picture









No comments:
Post a Comment