She's been living in her uptown world....
(I bet all of you have started singing that in your heads now. I suffered all week so now it's your turn!)
(I bet all of you have started singing that in your heads now. I suffered all week so now it's your turn!)
So I would have had class on Friday. BUT. Teachers apparently strike here. Teachers were striking against the suspension of the vice chancellor to the JNU Teachers Association.
See Belgium? This is an actual reason. Not because you need to work a 40 hour work week instead of 38. Because those two hours over the course of 5 days really makes that big a difference right?
So because the teachers were on strike I went on strike as well.
In other news: it was Friendship day! Hi friends!
So to honor that, we went to Hauz Khas Village (okay so none of us actually knew that it was friendship day, but lets just pretend that that's the reason as to why we went.) Hauz Khas Village originally, in the 13th century, was a type of water dispensary place. It's only since the 1980's that it's become a breathing ground for young, inebriated youths and apparently, deer. (There's a deer park attached to the complex.)
If you're from Belgium, or more specifically Leuven, you could compare Hauz Khas to the Oude Markt (Old Market) on a Thursday night at about 2am when the university is in full swing. For those of you have never been to Leuven on a Thursday night at 2am when the university is in full swing, lets just say I've almost been involved in a few brawls when people wouldn't let me through*. Point is, it's incredibly crowded. Hauz Khas is like that, but about 90% of the bars/restaurants/what have you close at around 1am, so it doesn't get quite as crowded, but you get the picture.
If you're from the States, or more specifically... Actually I have no idea what I would compare Hauz Khas to in the States. What do you want from me, I was 12 when we moved away.
I noticed as we were sitting there, I kept feeling compelled to speak Hindi. Every time the waiter would come by I would start speaking "Hinglish" to which the waiter would reply in full Hindi. And naturally I didn't understand a word of what he said. Fail. Okay so my Hindi was mostly saying "bhaia, eek or mojito chaie zara" (brother, one more mojito please). And of course all the while I do the head shake and hand wave type thing.
Finally I can start representing my other half (a bit)!
Sunday we went to Dilli Haat, a market place in south Delhi where people from all over India come to sell their products. I can safely say that I've spent my fair share there. (Ha that rhymed.)
There were lions' and tigers' and bears' (carpets and cushions). Oh my. And elephants of course. I could buy all the elephant products there and then some. Dilli Haat is not necessarily a huge place, but you could easily spend a few hours (and rupees) there. It really is, for lack of a better word, interesting. If you don't feel like dealing with busy streets and annoying sellers, this is the place to go. Personally I feel it's a must when you come to Delhi. You won't find a place like it anywhere else. Well I mean in India you will, obviously, but I mean in places like Europe or the States.
On a slightly more serious note, I'd like to point out that this is real India. What people see in movies is a gross exaggeration of the truth. Granted, there are obviously areas where it's a little bit more unsightly than others. But honestly, isn't that with every country? Brussels isn't exactly the cleanest place neither. In fact I feel much more at ease here in Delhi than I do in some parts of Brussels. From what I've heard, New York can be, at times, very unpleasant.
India is a different place, obviously, but its a special place that should be treated with respect, not by whats wrongly represented in movies.
Anyway, I'll end this on a positive note. This guy clearly knows exactly how to spend the perfect weekend:
*family members: don't worry, nothing actually ever happened!




No comments:
Post a Comment