Monday, August 15, 2016

Def Col

As I walk through the valley of the shadows of death
I take a look at my life and realize there's nothing left

Yes I am in fact talking about the wasps that are currently terrorising my classroom. 

Friday started off as a great day. I did discover though that running in this weather is a bit of a challenge. But at least the view is nice. 




I've noticed something else lately. Teachers tend to not let students know when they will be teaching. My four hours of class turned into 5 minutes in each class waiting for someone, anyone to show up. Normally you'd think "great, no class, time to go home early." But really. Twice in one day?! Four teachers in two weeks?! This is a tad ridiculous, is it not? Or is it just me?  

Anyway I ended up taking an auto (rickshaw) home. And as we were nearing the house, I was trying to give directions in broken hindi. I said "islieh dhain, islieh bhain," thinking I was saying "here left, here right." But the guy just kept looking at me really weird. Like, really weird. 

Turns out, "islieh" does not mean "here." Rather, it means "this is why." 

Okay I kind of understand the confusion. 

Oops. 

Friday night some of us went to Defence Colony. That was an interesting evening. We went to a bar where they were advertising "499 rupee = unlimited Bira.*" 

Yeaaaaaah. No. The deal was only until midnight, but they did give us two pitchers instead. The bar had a guy playing music, and believe you me, this guy was amazing. He was singing in Hindi most of the time, but noticed that we weren't exactly Indian, and thus most likely didn't understand Hindi. So he sang "Hero" by Enrique Iglesias for us. Personally I can't stand the song. But hey, it's the thought that counts. And it really did sound like Enrique was there in the room with us.

The best part of the night was when we spent 20+ minutes driving around Defence Colony trying to find the next bar. Once you've passed the same roads about 4 times, it's time to call it quits.


This post comes a day late as hopefully some of you may have noticed. But it's for good reason! We went to a Bengali wedding last night and I was hoping that there would have been enough interesting events that I could talk about.

First off. Food. Yes. I did in fact eat about 51% of all the spring rolls that were available. I would have eaten the other 49% too, but that may have been a bit too gluttonous.

Secondly. Apparently the bride and groom wear these special types of hats during the ceremony. They looked quite funny.


Thirdly. While the wedding was going on, Belgium beat India 3-1 in hockey in the Olympics. I have mixed feelings about this.

And finally. It definitely was a very special night and I'm very glad I witnessed it. Just to see the differences between north Indian and Bengali weddings was, to say the least, very interesting.


And in the picture is me, struggling to wear typical Indian clothing. I say struggling because it's not exactly the lightest thing to wear. 

But I look pretty darn good if I do say so myself. 

And of course, today is the 15th of August. In 1947 India gained independence. 

Happy Independence Day! 




*Bira = Belgian brewed beer made especially for India 

No comments:

Post a Comment