Friday, September 8, 2017

Sittin' on the dock of the bay

Sitting in the morning sun
Sitting till evening comes..

(Essentially my last four weeks in the Maldives).

Maldives.

All said and done, I'm going to miss you.

33.

That's the amount of days I spent working here as an intern at Sales and Marketing.

That's 792 hours I spent with new people, learning new things, experiencing new things  (yes, I know cliche, deal with it).



It's been... an experience.

I started this post a few days back when I was "working" on press releases.**

And a few days ago I wasn't feeling all that positive about this place. I've learned that on this 6km island your emotions escalate tenfold.

But hey.

It's cool.

Alls well that ends well. (That's what they say right? Or not. What?)

Fast forward a few days from that day and I'm back home in Delhi with my bearded vampire dog.

To continue.


I'll start with the work itself.

Every day I'd roll into work with that Rihanna song stuck in my head. You know the one. The one that goes like "workworkworkworkworkworkworkwork." I think there are some other words as well. Possibly. I do not know.

I'd roll into work, see everyone's incredibly excited (read: slightly dusty) faces and just keep on keepin' on.

We'd have our morning meetings which were... interesting. Who knew worm farming was a thing?

My work consisted of press releases (which I have to admit are some of the best things I've ever written. Yes. I can be that vain. And I'm okay with it), market research, making itineraries and. I don't know. A whole bunch of other stuff.

OH.

One day I did an actual intern thing and carried coffee down the hall.

Halfway.

Fine.

A quarter of the way.

My favorite part of the job was when I got to tour the island looking for "inspiration."

Actually. Am I even allowed to say any of this?

Essentially I ate tiramisu and ice cream my last few days.




The island itself was of course beautiful. It's true what they say, I lived in paradise for a month. There aren't many places in the world where you can walk five minutes and just see this:



Morning runs were made a hell of a lot better. Walking down to Fanditha after work to see the sunset was actually a huge highlight. Followed by the fact that we drank a couple of bottles of cava at 7:30pm because we deserved it after walking so much.

And what made it even better is that the next day we went snorkeling with the turtles. In hindsight, we probably should have relaxed on the cava.

But hey.

It's fine.

No worries.

No turtles or fish were harmed in the snorkeling.

My work crew made the month essentially. I can't thank my team enough for everything they have done for me the past few weeks.

And again, I apologize for distracting you guys in the office.

Actually.

No.

I'm not sorry.

I'm an absolute pleasure to have around.

Guys, don't be strangers when you come to Europe, London or Germany, I'll be there.

As for the rest of the Cheers crew: wherever I am in the world, you're always more than welcome.

What was meant to be my "most healthy month ever" turned into "well, there's always next month."

Don't judge. It's not like you'd be able to pass up tempura shrimp. Or burgers. Or fries. Or food.

Food.

So.

To sum everything up:

I had a horrendous time and I never want to go back.

(This is a joke. I genuinely had a good time.)

Goodnight Maldives.

You've taken me on a hell of a ride.















**To any future employers who may read this, I am a very hard working person. Please hire me.








No comments:

Post a Comment